So this year was the year to eat healthier wasn’t it? Well thank God every day is a new day and we have the chance to start over and press reset on our goals! Well according to the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, March is National Nutrition Month! This year’s theme is “Savor the Flavor of Eating Right”, so it’s a great time to get back on track with your New Year’s goal of eating healthy. Eating healthy isn’t so easy, so starting small and making small changes will make all the difference for lasting change. So in honor of National Nutrition Month, here are a few tips to get both you and I started (again) on our healthy journey.
1. Hydrate! Drink water ladies. Simply keep a bottle on hand and sip it all day. Also pack your children’s back pack with a cool bottle of water. They’ll thank you for it later…
2. Snacks, snacks and more snacks. Planning is key here. Running to the vending machine for a bag of chips isn’t the goal. Take some time at the beginning of the week to get your hands on dried fruits, peanuts, fresh fruits, veggies whole wheat crackers, or cheese. Children and teens tend to be a lot hungrier so try to give them fiber filled snacks, like carrots and hummus, and granola, plain yogurt with fruits.
3. Keep that beautiful heart of yours healthy by trading in that fried red snapper for some grilled salmon and rice and peas for actual brown rice! You won’t be compromising any flavor here, be true to this years theme and savor the flavor!
4. Be sure to minimize screen time with the kiddies and get them out and moving to get their hearts pumping.
5. Lastly, let’s commit to trying one new fresh vegetable each week for the rest of the month and please comment below and let me know what you come up with!
Please remember to stop by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics for a lot more great information and I can’t wait to hear all about your progress!